1 ½ pounds fresh mushrooms—field or portobello if possible (see note)
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
¼ cup chopped shallots
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
½ cup dry white wine
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and white pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons butter (¼ stick), optional
¼ cup dry sherry, optional
Note: Be sure you know which varieties of field mushrooms
1. Clean and slice the mushrooms.
2. In a large pot, heat the butter or oil and sauté the shallots and garlic until translucent. Do not brown. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring now and then, for about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the wine and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. In a blender, puree the soup in small batches. Return the soup to the pot. Stir in the heavy cream
5. Just before serving, reheat the soup until very hot but not boiling. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Swirl in butter, if desired, and ladle into individual soup plates or a tureen.
6.Sprinkle with parsley and add sherry, if desired.